Re: Multiarch preparations needed for etch dpkg

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:07:00AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> > Say you have a binary package (Multi-Arch: no) firfox and a
> > library/plugin package firefox-mplayer-plugin.

> > This could be handled by firefox having a "Provides:
> > firefox-abiXX-arch-os-libc". Apt and perl for example already provide
> > an abi pseudopackage.

> After a lengthy discussion on irc Steve and I have come to the
> conclusion that we don't seem to need a "Depends: foo:arch" syntax if
> we instead implement versioned provides.

More precisely, you don't need Depends: foo:arch if we have a suitably
scalable solution that can be implemented using Provides.

I.e., versioned Provides support is only a barrier to adoption to the extent
that we have packages providing plugin interfaces, for which we want to
support multiarch consumers, and the plugin interfaces rev frequently.

> I think packages with a versioned depends on a provided package will
> be uninstallable with the current dpkg, right? If so that would only
> mean packages in etch+1 will be uninstallable without a prior update
> to a dpkg that handles versioned provides.

Yes.  Having packages that can't be installed with previous-generation
package management tools should be ok, it's only having packages that are
installed when they shouldn't be that really becomes a problem.

> Only the "dpkg:arch" is required and that can be done with "Provides:
> dpkg-arch" again.

Right.  I wonder if even this should strictly be necessary, though, or if
dpkg shouldn't be able to provide the needed features for build-essential in
any architecture version...

> So we don't have to change the syntax but we do have to change dpkg
> to smooth the way ahead for etch+1.

Yes.

Cheers,