Re: not running depmod at boot time

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:35:31AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> "make install" already runs depmod.

What if you don't use the 'install' target?  I certainly don't.  Does the
'modules_install' target also run depmod?  I don't claim to understand what
the comments in the kernel Makefile say about it, other than that they
imply there's some dependency on System.map.

Speaking as the "user" in this discussion, if depmod is no longer going to
be run at boot, and my current kernel installation method isn't going to do
it, I need to make sure I do it myself or change how I install kernels.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no
 msw@cox.net |     angles to the wind.