Re: gnome 1 packages up for adoption

> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 12:00:43PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>
>> I have been maintaining the following gnome-1 support packages:
>
>>   bonobo gal0.x gnome-libs gnome-print gtkhtml gwrapguile imlib
>>   libcapplet libglade oaf
>
> gwrapguile and gtkhtml have no reverse-dependencies in Debian except for
> gnucash.   python-gnome has a build-dependency on libgtkhtml-dev which
> should be trivially removable since none of its binary packages use it.
>
> I would suggest filing for removal of these two packages directly, rather
> than orphaning them at all.

I mistakenly included gwrapguile in my list, actually.  It's not a
gnome package at all, and my intention has always been to get rid of
it directly once gnucash is out.

> Likewise, guppi is a QA-maintained package with no reverse-deps aside from
> gnucash, and several other chains of packages also look like we should
> consider removing them once the above-mentioned packages are gone.

I agree.  However, I'm not an expert on how to efficiently answer
these questions (indeed, whenever I use rdepends I get a lot of
spurious entries, and I don't know why, and it requires gobs of manual
work to figure out which ones are real).

In any case, this message is only a "heads up", so that when gnucash
does transition, the correct thing for each package can be done
without further ado.

Thomas