Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On Saturday 27 May 2006 06:17, Jacob S wrote:

> > Oregon abolished the voting booth in 2000:  "Election Day" is
> > actually the last election day of six consecutive weeks we can vote
> > (beat that and your wussy six hours, America!), and we vote at home.
> > You have your option of mailing or handing in your ballot to county
> > elections.  Oregon residents that will be outside the state of Oregon
> > on the last day of the election are the only people eligible to
> > register absentee because of this (this is a good thing, since it
> > improves voter turnout and more votes count initially, whereas
> > absentee ballots in all 50 states never get opened unless there's a
> > tie).
>
> Oh, so they get better counts and less fraud by doing away with ballot
> secrecy. How wonderful.

No, that's not how it works, your ballot is still secret.  Think about it for
a minute.  You sign the mailing envelope, your ballot goes in a secrecy
envelope.  Elections compares signatures, opens the mailing envelope and
saves it for the voter rolls, sends the secrecy envelope down the line off to
the counting machines to be opened separately in some other room.

And if you still don't like it, you don't have to live here, everybody else
already beat you to the punch.  Oregon's full.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber