Re: About MIA maintainers
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: About MIA maintainers
- From: "Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU>
- Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:48:01 -0400
- Message-id: <[🔎] 4474B871.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20060524060715.GA11673@localhost.localdomain>
- References: <20060523111620.GA32145@powerlinux.fr> <20060523115746.GN30813@paranoidfreak.co.uk> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com> <20060523135447.GA6933@powerlinux.fr> <20060523153822.GC8606@chemicalconnection.dyndns.org> <447338AC.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20060523192840.GA24930@powerlinux.fr> <447377DE.email@example.com> <44737DD5.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20060524043624.GA3418@powerlinux.fr> <20060524060715.GA11673@localhost.localdomain>
[Cross-posted to debian-devel in hopes of getting this discussion out of
-private; please follow up there.]
Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> What about encouraging maintainers to appoint a substitute maintainer?
> This does not apply to group maintained packages and I am open to
> suggestions what to call the second in charge, not necessarily
> substitute maintainer.
> Appointing a substitute would not take lots of effort in
> infrastucture, just a way to find who the substitute is when the
> primary maintainer is temporarily unable to maintain.
Easy enough, just put the substitute in the Uploaders field. I suppose
someone who didn't want to go to the effort of finding a good substitute
might list a random developer there without informing the other
developer. But I imagine this behavior would be frowned upon :-)
> The responsibilities of primary and substitute are to keep the
> substitute informed of the state of the package so he/she can do the
> substitute work when needed.
This seems like a good compromise to me that wouldn't be overkill in the
case of small packages. One can even imagine having the "substitute" be
a list like email@example.com for random little applets, etc.
> Nothing private in this e-mail.
Nor (obviously) mine.
Kevin B. McCarty <firstname.lastname@example.org> Physics Department
WWW: http://www.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ Princeton University
GPG: public key ID 4F83C751 Princeton, NJ 08544