Re: Section of -dev packages

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 05:06:13PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> While we are at it why not remove sections alltogether?
> We have the debtags system that by far superseeds the sections and
> since the pool structure is used sections have been quite useless.

There are some reasons I'm not trying to push for this:

 1) some sections still are meaningful (base comes to my mind)
 2) there is no direct debtags 1-1 mapping for sections, so we have no
    clear upgrade path for applications that still use sections
 3) I'm stuck with review of submitted tags, which means that the
    reviewed set of tags that goes in the Packages page is outdated.
    There is no current sustainable way to keep it up-to-date, and
    debtags cannot go prime time until that happens.
    Luckily they are ideas, some made it into the Summer of Code bundle,
    some are mostly SMOP, in a way or another we'll have updated tags in
    unstable again.

Ciao,

Enrico