Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

Erast Benson writes...

> Once you accompany OpenSolaris kernel with GLIBC, you will kill this
> capability, you will not be able to run anything other than OSS compiled
> for your particular distro. That was my point. And isn't LSB is what
> GNU/Linux moving towards to? In OpenSolaris we have its Core which we
> following as a standard and I don't see any single reason not to do so.

How is this being implemented? I know Solaris did it by running an
entire copy of Red Hat in a virtual machine, which isn't really supporting
the LSB ABIs IMO. If you're actually supporting the LSB ABIs in the system
root that would be cool (but the easiest way of doing it would be using
glibc).

This stuff could be really interesting to work on, get Sun to make the
license GPL compatible and you'll see people in Debian interested in
working on it.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org