Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Ron wrote:
> Drew Parsons wrote:
> >
> > I am correct in understanding that this means bytecode (*.class)  generated using
> > gcj -C is not permitted by this licence to be run using the Sun JVM?
>
> Probably so.
>
> Given the imperfect compatibility between gcj & Sun Java 1.5, can
> you say whether the reason your Java app fails is because there's a
> bug your app, there's a bug in gcj or in the Sun JRE?  Sun
> reasonably doesn't want people blaming Sun Java for flaws in other
> compilers.

I can appreciate in this scenario that Sun does not want to accept
liability or blame.  "Not a supported configuration", that's fine. But
to forbid a user from even attempting it if they want to is just
plain....ridiculous. Hubris!

> IANAL, but ISTM that it is up to the *user*, not Debian to enforce
> clause 2(c).
>
> After all, when I install it on my box, *I* am agreeing to the
> license, not SPI, the DPL or the Debian Java Team.

Perhaps.  That's a subtle matter my tired brain can't address right now :)

Drew