Re: Creation of custom "configured" packages?

On Monday 15 May 2006 09:49, lists-debian@latendresse.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in case I am in the wrong list, I beg you pardon, but I asked this
> already in debian-user without success.
>
> I would like to build customized, configured packages (for example
> additional bash script for the bash package, some default keybindings
> for screen, some host in /etc/ssh/known_hosts for ssh ... the list is
> endless), because maitainigs multiple systems becomes frustrating
> otherwise, if you maintain more than 2 computers (4 in my case).
>
> What would be the best (cleanest, most debian-like solution) be? I
> thought of "meta-packages" with pre-depends to the real packages and
> dpkg-divertions for the config files?

you've just run into the main problem of CDD's (hence debian-custom would
also be a good place to ask for help)

> Are there other possibilities?

usual approaches are as follows (in order of preference):
1) use multilevel/modular config where available:
   usually in the form of a /etcc/<something>.d directory
   (e.g. /etc/apt/conf.d), or stacked config sets (e.g. the major desktop
   environments, see desktop-profiles package)
2) use debconf preseeding:
   con: only works before initial installation of whatever package of which
        you want to customize the configuration
3) use cfengine (or something similar) to customize the configuration:
   con: can't be automated in a policy compliant manner (though that's
        likely not a problem for your own use)

long-term Debian solution is pushing for 1)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)