Re: debian and UDEV

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:14:48PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

I don't see it as a general issue either; if you have problems of this type,
you should report them to the bug tracking system so that they can be fixed.
Debian as an organization can't hope to test all of the hardware available
in the market, so we rely on feedback from folks such as yourself to let us
know when there is a problem.
The most hideous problem of hotplug/udev is the following:

You can't wait for an hotplug/udev event to be done processing. That
is always done asynchron without any feedback of completion.

You don't need to wait for a particular event to be finished processing;
instead you should wait for the resource you actually need to become
available, e.g. a device node.

It would be useful to add a simple utility for this to debianutils or
similar so that it doesn't need to be reimplemented in so many places.

Why not use "udevsettle" that comes with new udev just for this purpose?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov