Re: pbuilder, and why not...

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> * Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> [060514 18:54]:
>> e) yes, it may add a minute here or there, but pbuilder _dramatically_
>> increases your build reliability and saves you and the admins time as it
>> prevents (build) bugs from propagating.  Also, with proper uses of LVM and
>> snapshotting, you could reduce that time to very little or none.
>
> While chrooted buildds make the generated binaries much more reliable,
> it removes an important test case for the source packages. Debian source
> packages are supposed to also work correctly when run in an unclean
> build environment.

Because tools like sbuild need a dsc, I always build the package on
the host and then rebuild the new .dsc/.diff.gz in the sbuild chroot.
This ensures it will build in both environments, and also ensures the
source will unpack and autobuild properly.

--
Roger Leigh
                Printing on GNU/Linux?  http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/