Re: gcc 4.1 or not

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 02:20:29PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de> [2006-05-11 13:38]:
> > I know, tbm tried to build all packages on mips*. It would be intersting
> > to know, how other architectures behave. Also i have not seen any
> > comments from doko yet.

> I built mips and amd64, and in the mean time also powerpc and most of
> sparc.

> Apparently hppa has some problems but I don't know any details:

> 22:10 < vorlon> also, do you know about the hppa ABI skew issues?
> 22:12 < vorlon> libstdc++6 from gcc-4.1 source doesn't work with gcc-4.0 as
> a compiler, because of a libgcc_s soname change

This is a problem, caused by the *introduction* of gcc-4.1 into the archive,
which will be fixed (well, fixable) when gcc-4.1 is the default compiler.
So this is a reason for getting gcc-4.1 as default, not against it.  (It's
also another pool of porters you can tap to do NMUs for the switch, which is
why I mentioned it to you :)