Re: Bits from the 2IC

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:10:16AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Unfortunately, other mailing list discussions have been less
>> happy. A somewhat acrimonious argument between Sven Luther and members
>> of the d-i team spread out across various lists, starting at
>> [3]. There has been quite lot of public discussion and more private
>> attempts to repair the situation, but at this point things are not
>> looking too hopeful.
> The situation is indeed not hopeful. The mediation attempt of the DPL failed,
> as he ranged himself basically with the opinion of the d-i team, and acted
> more like a judge delivering a sentence, than a mediator, sending his sentence
> to a public list, without even forewarning me. I guess Anthony doesn't know
> what mediation means.

A reason for the failing of mediation is that you seem to have no
interest to work together with the people who have (not in a very nice
way) removed your commit rights. You have kept flaming on public lists
in the last few days, which is normally not a good way to get people to
calm down.

What you seem to want is some sort of decision that forces other
developers to work together with you, not a mediation. Working together
is not only based on technical stuff, but has also a social level. Your
recent actions have shown that you do not understand about this, and I
have to admit that it's probably better for the d-i team if they don't
have to fight with you on a regular basis. The time and motivation lost
in flamewars is more valuable than anything a single developer could
contribute.

Marc
--
BOFH #448: