Re: PDF files and dh_compress

Dear all, dear Frank,

If it was the intention of the general resolution you are reffering to
that any document which has been created by automatic processing of
another document could not be distributed without its "source", it is
rather unfortunate that it refers to the DFSG, which explicitely use
the term "program" in their paragraph 2.

However, I do not want to argue, and your comment about the possibility
that the PDF file might contain non-free fonts also makes sense. I will
not include the PDF in my package.

As for the public domain, I thought I was on solid ground because work
made by public servants in the USA is automatically public domain.
However, I realised that the Standford university where the software has
been released is private (correct me if I am wrong), thus the program
can not be in public domain.

I will document this in the copyright file, and ask the upstream author
if he agrees to rephrase his statement. (However, my limited experience
showed me that when authors chose permissive licences or statement, they
are not generally interested in managing their copyrights as rigourously
as Debian expects it...)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy