Re: Intent to hijack Bacula

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:45:42PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for this. I'm using backuppc at work and was considering to
> move our backups to bacula after upgrading our current hardware setup.
> Package updates and bug squashing in general was on the roadmap.
>
> That would be good if you, Jose and probably others joined a 'bacula'
> group in alioth to keep this in group maintenance. Hopefully i would
> be able to join with real work in the next month. Thoughts?

I would be happy to do that.  I already maintain almost all of my Debian
packages in darcs, and in fact you can "darcs send" bacula patches to me
already.  Unlike svn, there's no need for a central repo with shared
perms and all that to make it work, so there's less of a need for an
Alioth project, but if you'd like me to set one up, drop me a note
offline (with some benefits you might see) and I'd be happy to do that.

You can get my current repo with:

darcs get http://darcs.complete.org/debian/bacula

Though I should warn you that I am rewriting most of the build system at
this time, so the tree you see there won't be buildable for another day
or two.

> Closing, do you think it will be possible to ship in Etch a "backup
> server" task using bacula ? I think that's all up to add more stuff in
> debconf and prepare the task itself. Probably a goal for the first
> 'group upload', if you agree.

That would certainly be possible -- though really the only package one
would need in that task is bacula-server.

-- John