Re: O: Gnus -- A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen.

> On 29 Apr 2006, Marc Haber stated:

>> Agreed. An accepted way to do this is to ship a shell script with the
>> Debian source package which operates on an pristine upstream tarball
>> obtained from upstream and delivers the Debian .orig.tar.gz for
>> comparision with what's in the archive.

>         Err, in the case of Gnus, this is impossible. Guess what? the
>  reason we are mucking with Gnus and make is because we _can't_ ship
>  pristine upstream.

At a guess:  He doesn't mean ship the pristine upstream, he means to ship
a shell script that derives the Debian .orig.tar.gz from a pristine copy
of upstream obtained separately so that the process is reproducible.  This
lets others confirm the heritage of what's in Debian by checking over the
transformation, grabbing the upstream distribution, applying the
transformation themselves, and making sure they get back the same thing.