Re: AMD64: etch and uploads

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:41:50AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> Developers with amd64 machines are also now able to upload new versions
>> of their package built locally (rather than in an i386 chroot) -- but
>> in order to ensure dependencies are calculated correctly, please make
>> sure you're building using Debian unstable and not packages from Ubuntu
>> or the unofficial debian-amd64 archive; using pbuilder or debootstrap
>> to create a chroot build environment might be helpful in this case.
>
> In order to fulfill this requirement, is there a best practice / any
> possible way to "convert" an amd64 box which has been installed from
> debian-amd64 to an official debian amd64 box?

I recommend not to try it.  I think packages that are uploaded to Debian
should be compiled in a clean, up-to-date pbuilder environment, or
something equivalent.  Not on a machine that's used for working, that
might have other build-dependency alternatives installed than pbuilder
would pick, or maybe has undeclared build-deps installed.

Since debootstrap works for amd64 in unstable, setting up a pbuilder
chroot should work as for any other arch, I guess.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)