Re: Bits from the experimental autobuilder team (or: For Those Who Care About Experimental...)

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> I'm thinking more of extending the capabilities of apt itself for 2
> cases:
>
> 1)
> apt-get install foo (>= 1.2-3)
> or
> apt-get install foo>=1.2-3
>
> Sort the known versions of foo according to pin and version like now
> but then, instead of picking the top one, pick the first one
> fullfilling the version requirement. This could be foo=2.0-5.

That sounds sensible.

> 2)
>
> apt-get install foo
>
> and foo Depends: bar (>= 1.2-3)
>
> Install bar >= 1.2-3 even if it is not the top candidate. This should
> be just like
>
> apt-get install foo bar (>= 1.2-3)

Without further precautions, this would make life harder for people who
currently use pinning.  If a package is broken, because it depends on
stuff only in experimental, it would just install the experimental
version, but I'd rather have a warning here.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)