Re: Use clisp shiped with source or from Debian?

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:06:27PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to pack Xindy an index processing system like makeindex.
> Xindy's source comes with clisp 2.33.2 and it is compiled at build time.
>
> I've got it managed to build with the clisp package from Debian. But I
> have little problem and saw the Debian package depends on X11. Upstream
> do not support other versions than this one shipped with the source and
> depending on the clisp package would make more packages need to be
> installed to use Xindy -- a simple text processor needs X11.

For those not familiar with xindy, IIRC  the reason why xindy upstream
included a clisp copy is that xindy needed a specific external module that
was not available with stock clisp, so a specific clisp including that
module was needed.

If you have succeeded on making xindy build and work with stock clisp, I
would not worry about current xindy tarball status. I think Joachim Schrod
will be very happy to hear from your changes, and if they are of general
interest can be included upstream, hopefully avoiding all that clisp
sources. Last time I read from him he was very busy with real life, but you
can mail the xindy list for wider testing.

> On the other hand I can decrease the compile time heavily, make the
> package architecture independent and smaller. And I see the problem that
> I have to track the development of clisp and maybe backport (security)
> bugs if I use the clisp version from the tarball.
>
> What do you think? Is it better to use the clisp version shipped with the
> source tarball or use the Debian package?

IMHO use Debian clisp.

As others have pointed put, depending of 2MB X11 stuff is not that big a
problem, remarkably if you have severely decreased xindy size. I use xindy
and in my system, with xindy built the very old way (from binaries) I have

$ ls /usr/lib/xindy/xindy.* -la
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1394808 2003-11-13 17:09 /usr/lib/xindy/xindy.mem
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  713616 2003-11-13 17:09 /usr/lib/xindy/xindy.run

That already makes 2MB, so depending on the size decrease you get, the
final extra space required when using X11 stuff can be smaller than
those 2MB.

--
Agustin