Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

André Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira wrote:
> I'm creating a meta package for install a lite desktop for old
> machines with poor hardware.
> I would like to receive opinions about my packages list:

I'm glad to see someone working on this. I hope you manage to find a
consensus for some good default packages.

If so, I would be happy to add this to tasksel, so that the desktop task
automatically installs it if it detects a system that is not easily
capable of running kde/gnome. Tasksel has the infrastructure needed to
support doing this kind of thing, just a matter of finding appropriate
heuristics to pick the right desktop variant in an unsuprising way.

I think this would be better than a meta package because it would be
available in the regular install, and it would avoid some of the issues
with meta packages.

--
see shy jo