Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

Linas Žvirblis <0x0007@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Any particular reason for not just using xpdf?
>>
>> Especially since xpdf seems to do a much better job of rendering many
>> pdf documents...  [Evince has nicer looking widgets though.]
>
> Not only that, but Evince can be quite slow at rendering complex documents.

Are there any benchmarks on that?  poppler (on which evince is based)
aims to be better than xpdf in that, but it seems some of the additional
functions have slowed it down.  The poppler people appreciate input on
that, with example files etc.

> Of course, everything highly depends on your definition of "light". If I
> were to make a list of packages for a "light" desktop, my selection
> would be entirely different.

One thing at least is clear: xpdf only depends on a couple of xlibs,
whereas libpoppler pulls in libcairo and one of the frontend libraries
(qt or glib).

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster