Re: System users that receive mail in /var/mail/systemuser?

I run a hybred Red-Hat/Debian system, (started on Red-Hat), so I definitely have users in the 500-1000
range.
I know that Solaris systems used to start at uid=100.

In other words, dumping email just based on the UID seems like a dangerous thing if you want to run in a mixed environment.

If a package /user doesn't affirmatively indicate that it should never create/accept email, then the mail should go through the normal email pathways. I'm a bit of a data-packrat and consider data loss to be a bad thing. If I want to toss those emails, I'll create a cron job to do it on a regular basis.

Also: in my experience, I've rarely received spam for system users other than postmaster and webmaster -- and those are probably due to DNS registrations and the like.