Re: System users that receive mail in /var/mail/systemuser?

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:53:44PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 12:25 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> [...]

>>> Maybe not *packages*, but possibly non-Debian software.

>> non-Debian software, running in the Debian system-user id range?

> * Some other distributions (I believe RedHat is one of them, but am not
>  sure) have their user UID range start at 500 rather than 1000.
[breakage with NIS or LDAP]

Yes, indeed RedHat does (or at least did when I last used it).

[...]
> * System users on a Debian system are created with the --system
>  argument. On reading the manpage, these users are called "system
>  users", not "Debian system users"; so non-Debian software could very
>  well be using that by using the documented API.

Ok (I doubt though that *these* system w/should receive mail in
/var/mail/, too.)

thanks, cu andreas

--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute