Re: Proper way of closing *old* bugs

It seems to me that, in this case (and correct me if I'm wrong), the package hasn't been updated from upstream for a long time, and so the difference between the old version and the new version fixes the stack of old bugs (( even though it wasn't _this specific version_ where the bug was fixed )).

Now, if the bug has been (contrary to my reading) fixed for a long time, and just not reported as fixed, then I can see it being misleading to fix the bug via the changelog.

If it's a case of being lazy, then you can just something like:

while read bug notes ; do
( echo bug $bug was fixed a long time ago ; echo " $notes" | fmt ) | Mail $bug-done@b.d.o
done << EOF
42 A mouse did it