Re: How (not) to write copyright files - take two

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 21:20 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:
>
> > I am packaging a program for debian, and wrote a manpage and two patches
> > for making it compile with libwxwindows. I am not very interested in
> > being the author list: I would be a bit ashamed that my name would
> > appear more frequently that the author's for a work which is not mine.
> > Also, I feel a bit lazy and do not want the burden of changing the
> > copyright file whenever one of my modifications is accepted or
> > obsoleted.
>
> > Is it OK if I release the patches and the manpages in the public domain,
> > and I do not mention the manpage and the patches in the copyright file?
>
> I recommend always adding an additional section to debian/copyright giving
> an explicit statement about the copyright of the packaging work.  It's
> just good copyright "hygiene," since otherwise people have to make guesses
> and assumptions that may not be correct.

I think thats a good practice.

But I'm not sure that a concordance of individual copyright holders in
the packaging file as asserted earlier in this thread is of significant
use - its certainly hard to maintain (have to check every single file in
every upstream change for new (c) holders), and I'm dubious about the
legal need: Asserting that the copyright is held by the primary authors
and others as listed in the source, or in the projects AUTHORS file if
it maintains one should be sufficient no?

Perhaps we should -> debian-legal?
Rob