Re: automatically install -dev packages

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:08:06PM +0200, George Danchev wrote:

> In fact in cases like that you will find auto-apt quite useful. It wraps the
> build process in its own environment, peeps around for the files access and
> propose to install them on demand via apt-get.
> E.g. try: auto-apt run ./configure --whatever

I'd rather not. I've read about that suggestion before and that way the
system installs everything that configure /could/ use. Frankly, I do not
need tcl8.0, tcl8.1 and tcl8.2 in addition to tcl8.3 which I have
installed. So, for some configure scripts auto-apt can be useful, but
the bigger projects often probe for different incarnations of the same
program and normally you would not want to install all of them.

In short: Be careful, especially when running ./configure with auto-apt!

Greetings

	Torsten