Re: automatically install -dev packages

On 20-Mar-06, 14:37 (CST), David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu> wrote:
> Is there a setting somewhere I can set to cause apt-get and aptitude to
> always install corresponding -dev packages?  The default behavior of not
> installing them is particularly annoying when dealing with libraries that
> are installed when the OS itself is installed.

Nope, there's no such option.

If you're (re-)building Debian packages, there's an option to "apt-get
source" that also grabs the build dependencies.

For some of the bigger suites (Gnome, KDE, etc.) look for a high-level
blah-devel package that brings in pretty much everything you need
to do development for that suite. Or at least there used to be such
packages...

Otherwise, your best bet may be to fire up aptitude and step through the
libdevel section, picking out the ones you want. Note that you don't
have to pick all of them, just the ones you explicitly want, and let the
dependency system pull in anything they need.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net