Re: shared libraries dependecy problem.

* Peter Samuelson [Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:01:05 -0600]:

> [Grzegorz Bizon]
> > Linda complains that:
> > W: tleenx2; A binary links against a library that is not depended on.
> > (By the way - shoudn't it be error rather than warning ?)

[snip]

> The point is that you probably don't need to link to, e.g., -lX11,
> unless you directly use functions like XOpenDisplay or XBeep.
> Typically if you are using GTK, you won't be using any of those
> low-level functions.

  I am confused. Does the warning refer to a binary linking
  (objdump-NEEDING) to a library it does not use symbols from, or to a
  binary that links (ldd-output) to a library is not Depended: on? I had
  thought the latter, in which case the correct thing to do is to turn
  the check to use objdump, and the warning into an error; but your
  comment, Peter, seems to imply the former :-?, in which case I'd like
  to suggest a change in the wording:

    W: tleenx2; A binary links against a library it does not use symbols from

  Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

The easy way is the wrong way, and the hard way is the stupid way. Pick one.