Re: DPL Debate prepared questions list [Debian Policy Sucks]

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:09, Joey Hess wrote:
> > 5) etch beta 2 was released last week with support for your
> > hardware
>
> But there might have been many Debian Users who might have
> discovered this issue earlier. What choice are they given ?

They could have used an Etch nightly, or any number of other methods
to get a kernel that supports their hardware running... it's not all
that difficult to do.[1] [And if it's a problem, there are consultants
available to do it for you.]

> Why can't we do it?

Want to release faster? There are RC bugs that need patches, and
transitions that need planning.

Want to make sure that the next release supports your hardware? Help
test your hardware with the newest d-i nightlies and assist the d-i
team.

Don Armstrong

1: I suppose it may be considered cheating for any of us to declare
that something is "easy to do" when we can just do an install using
debootstrap...
--
"It's not Hollywood. War is real, war is primarily not about defeat or
victory, it is about death. I've seen thousands and thousands of dead