Re: Delayed ldconfig execution in postinst step

#include <hallo.h>
* Bill Allombert [Sat, Mar 18 2006, 02:56:27PM]:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 01:56:13PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > I just wondered why exactly my laptop uses that much time for updates
> > and I think that calling ldconfig is a main problem. In theory, it
> > should not cost much time because VFS cache has the relevant file parts.
> > However, if memory is limited and there are other applications running,
> > the VFS cache is flushed sooner thank you think, especially with
> > today's count of various libraries in /usr/lib.
> >
> > I think, it would be enough to call ldconfig only once after dpkg is
> > trough. Reasons:
> >
> >  - there are no dangerous transitions (libc5->libc6) that would require
> >    having updated ld.so.cache immediately
> >  - all applications should follow the ld.so.conf paths if something is
> >    not in the cache. No problem here.
>
> ld.so manpage imply the opposite.

I would not be that sure. Following that manpage from 1998 you have to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or have /etc/ld.so.cache. You can test it on any
recent system, deleting ld.so.cache.

Eduard.