Re: removing logfiles on purge

Hi1

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:46:40AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> i don't have enough time to find it, but like a couple years (or
> more?) ago there was a very, very long thread about logfile removal.
>
> the "should logfiles be removed on purge" question can actually be
> deconstructed into smaller questions:

What about providing some dpkg-purge / dh_purge which basically does the
following:

- on remove/purge register those files/directories related to the
  package which some admins like to keep, for example logfiles, database
  content, web sites and other files not included in the package itself,
  but which can't be regenerated when deleted.
- optional mail the newly added entries to the admin
- provide a small tool to list the still remaining files

This might me something as simple as a directory in /var/lib/dpkg-purge
with symlinks to files left behind by packages, for example
/var/lib/dpkg-purge
  apache2
    log -> /var/log/apache2/
  inn2
    news-spool -> /var/spool/news/
    log -> /var/log/inn2/
  postgresql
    db -> /var/lib/postgresql/
So you can later look around and remove the files you really don't want
to keep any longer.
You could extend that with automatic purge, for example provide regexps
of files/directories you want/don't want to keep and which get deleted
as soon as you register them.

BYtE
Philipp
--