Re: Request of expulsion of Zeke the Cat from the Debian Project

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 02:47:21PM -0700, John Gee wrote:
> *Wouter Verhelst, you are an idiot.

Thanks for the compliment.

> With my years working with Sven Luther, barring a little pornography
> issue I was not fond he had, I still could cope with his attitude.

Great. So what changed?

> But you guys worship him.

Err, no. I don't worship people, and I don't intend to. It's not about
liking people, thinking of them as "friend", or "worshipping" them. It's
about respect, and about keeping an atmosphere where working on
something, and being productive, is still possible.

What worries me is that the fact that the fact that there is an
"official" procedure to kick someone out now seems to have lowered the
barrier to suggesting that. Previously, when there was some social issue
between developers, people would try to work out their differences, or
-- if that wasn't possible -- find something else to work on instead, so
that they didn't have to keep up with the disruptive behaviour anymore.

This is a good thing, for it's impossible to like everyone, or even to
be likeable to everyone. I know some people who don't like me, and I
do also know some people that I personally don't like. Such is life. And
in a project the size of Debian, it's normal that there are at least
_some_ people that you won't get along with easily.

You can ask for those people to get kicked out, but all that will really
accomplish, is that you will show the world that you can't be bothered
to even try to get along with people. And with "the world", I really
mean "the world".

> It's like I've always said, you guys are going to distroy yourselves.

If these expulsion procedures keep getting invoked, I couldn't agree
more.

> And when you do I don't want you crawling back to me.  I've already
> heard your arguments for and against me running one of the teams I'll
> not mention, but whoever does shouldn't worship another DD like
> **Pierre Habouzit and others are.

Err, I can't parse that.

--
Fun will now commence