Re: Delayed ldconfig execution in postinst step

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:20:28AM -0600, Bill Allombert wrote:
>I offer to implement a update-ldconfig program that would work the same
>way update-menus work, by checking a lock and forking in the background
>and waiting for the dpkg lock.

It's more than just update-menus and ldconfig.  update-menus is a
work-around.  A generic solution is required.

I'm thinking of:

  dpkg-hook ACTION [ARGS1] [-- ARGS2]
  dpkg-hook --now ACTION [ARGS1] [-- ARGS2]

The purpose of "-- ARGS2" is to allow postinsts which called programs
such as fc-cache to batch multiple calls to the same executable with a
concatenated list of arguments.

There are various ways for dpkg-hook to determine the calling package,
I'm guessing that the simplest would be for dpkg to set an environment
variable before calling the script.

So, each call to dpkg-hook would update /var/lib/dpkg/hooks (or
whatever) with:

  ACTION [ARGS1]:[ARGS2 ...]:PKG, PKG

dpkg would then run any pending hooks (with diagnostics as proposed by
Eduard in <[🔎] 20060313190313.GB4964@debian>) by calling:

  dpkg-hook --run [PKG ...]

either at the end of the configure step (with no PKG, specifying all
pending), and whenever a pre-dependency was declared (with a list of
dependant PKGs).

--bod