Re: question on hurd-i386 Debian architecture

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Pjotr Kourzanov <peter.kourzanov@xs4all.nl> writes:

Riku Voipio wrote:

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 03:49:01PM +0100, Peter Kourzanov wrote:

Can anyone please explain why this architecture is named hurd-i386
rather that i386-hurd?

because dpkg-architecture has a line like this:

return "$os-$cpu";

older dpkg (of sarge age) was more flexible, so likely the
hurd naming decission was not done because of dpkg-architecture,
but rather the other way around.

That's weird, naming a architecure because of a seemingly random
choice made in a script. But OK, that's fair enough...

I am adding some additional archs to my local installation like i386-uclibc,
which makes hurd-i386 an exception to the rule of having the CPU arch first
and the OS name the next.

Which is linux-i386-uclibc. Fits perfectly with os-arch.
os-arch-libc. OK.

You could argue to use the gnu tripplet style though: arch-os-libc.
No, that does not matter much, and would require changing e.g.,
hurd-i386.

MfG
       Goswin