Re: startscripts run twice

Marvin24 wrote:

> I noticed that on my two debian/sarge machines (ppc32 and amd64) most
> startscripts are ran twice. I don't know the package which this bug belongs
> to because the startup process is a little bit unclear to me. So I will try
> to explain how much I found out by now:
>
> During the boot process, first runlevel S is entered followed by runlevel 2.
> The rc script in runlevel 2 should find out, that S was the previous runlevel
> and should not start the processes already started in S.
> This does not happen on my systems, because in runlevel S, the utmp file is
> not updated correctly. You can try out yourself by modifing inittab to boot
> into runlevel S. Here the command "runlevel" shows just "unknown" instead of
> "N S" or somthing like that. In runlevel 2, it shows "N 2" instead of "S 2".
>
> Is it just me or can anyone confirm this behavior?

I am not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that if you
start a script in runlevel S and again in runlevel 2, it runs both
times? I am no expert, but I cannot think of a reason why this should be
made impossible. I do agree that this is not common, but if you tell it
to run, it should run, would you not agree? Besides, it is not like you
will have two same processes running. Properly written scripts will warn
you about already running process and will quit.

I am not aware of the reasons why this works in one way and not another,
but I suspect that something is wrong with _your_ runlevel
configuration. Please do not continue this topic on debian-devel list,
if there is no reason to.