Re: ./configure in debian/rules

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006, Peter Kourzanov wrote:
> For most of the packages, what is so different in cross-compilation in
> comparison to native?

On my limited cross-compiling knowledge (and nearly zero experience), you
have three classes of packages:

1. Those that just compile, link and ship -- these should crosscompile
automatically if using up-to-date, correctly setup autoconf/automake/libtool
build machinery, etc.

2. Those that also need build-time utilities (prime example: the Linux
kernel) -- these need to know they must use the host CC for building local
tools, and not the cross-compiler.  Interestingly enough, I can't find a
proper way to get access to the correct host compiler...

Don't tell me I am supposed to run two configure scripts, one in "force
non-crosscompiling mode, but somehow tell the built tools the
will-cross-compile-for arch" to build the compile-time tools, and another to
do the actual app cross-compilation.  Yuck, this is stupid.

3. Those packages that modify the build depending on data gathered from the
host system, or that use tools in the host system that generate non
architecture-agnostic data but are not cross-compiling aware -- these often
need to be extensively modified to cross-compile.

autoconf can be your enemy re. (3).  Tests that are not just a "locate lib"
or "test compile but do NOT run" will often kill cross-compilation.

> is to just issue a 'dpkg-buildpackage -aHOST ' on every single one of
> them and get a .deb file(s)

Interestingly, the notion of BUILD and HOST in dpkg-buildpackage(1) is
opposite to that on up-to-date autotools.  Oh well.

They should have just called it host, target and target-of-target instead of
host, build and target.

> As I've indicated earlier, Debian is in fact quite close to this wet
> dream of mine, it just misses on a

Is it really?  I'd be pleasantly (and very) surprised if that worked for a
high percentage of our packages given (2) and (3) above.

  Henrique Holschuh