Re: debconf and cdebconf are coinstallable now

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:59:02AM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2006-03-02 05:08]:
> > Joey has been campaigning [1] for a while to get everything in the
> > archive changed to depend on debconf | debconf-2.0 or similar rather
> > than just debconf, in order that we can start rolling out cdebconf
> > as its replacement.
>
> It would be nice if you could tell _why_ you're interested in
> migrating to cdebconf.  What does it have that debconf doesn't, or
> what other advantages does it have?  Is it easier to maintain,
> smaller, ...?

  * smaller

  * should generally be faster (relevant for upgrade times,
    reconfiguring, live CDs, etc.)

  * maintaining two debconf implementations is hard work, and we need
    cdebconf for the installer anyway

  * consistent UI between installer and installed system (though the
    obvious visual disconnect here has been helped greatly by killing
    off base-config)

That's what I can think of at the moment, anyway.