Re: Problems found by piuparts

On 2/24/06, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 2/20/06, Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >> In the past six months, I've filed about 260 bug reports based on what
> >> piuparts has found. About 40% of those have been fixed so far. Below is
> >> a summary of the common problems, hopefully the list will help everyone
> >> to find and especially avoid problems in their own packages.
> >>  (...)
>
> > Hi Lars,
>
> > I think some of these problems can be detected by lintian, adding some
> > more checks there. It could bring more visibility to so common errors.
> > Comments ?
>
> Most of those look semi-difficult to do in lintian because most of them
> require fairly deep parsing of maintainer scripts.  lintian can get a long
> way by cheating with simple heuristics, but that approach can be somewhat
> unreliable and prone to false positives.
>
> Certainly it's possible, and I expect the lintian maintainers would
> welcome patches, but I don't think it's that straightforward.

Hi Russ,

What i thought in a first look to the Lars' list. I think that the
best thing would include piuparts as a infrastructural test (oficially
as a part of our archive code), or due to restrict admin time to do
that, opt for something like piuparts.debian.org as we have
lintian.d.o.

I would be glad to help with a web interface to show the piuparts html
results in a organized way, but i don't have enough resources to test
every package, but i'm sure that somebody will step in at least for
i386 architecture. Since Lars already did the check (for i386 only, i
think), maybe we just need to bring more organization/visibility to
the results and keep them updated, right?

Hope that helps,
-- stratus