Re: How to identify distro, lsb-release is broken

Miles Bader(miles.bader@necel.com)@2006-02-23 17:41:
> Stephen Birch <sgbirch@imsmail.org> writes:
> > I need to find a way of identifying the name of an installed
> > distrobution. This mechanism should be able to differentiate
>
> To what end?  Many people do not run "pure" releases, so the concept of
> a distro version is rather shaky at best (especially in debian which
> emphasizes fine-grained upgrades).

We use apt to distribute internal software used in our organization.

The build dependancies vary slightly for each distro so we simply use
the distro ident when compiling to arrange for the correct tools to be
installed.

Steve