How to identify distro, lsb-release is broken

Hi

I need to find a way of identifying the name of an installed
distrobution. This mechanism should be able to differentiate

woody
sarge
etch
sid
hoary
breezy
dapper

Prior to etch I was using lsb-release but it seems /etc/lsb-release is
no longer installed by 'apt-get install lsb-release'. The README.Debian
file provides the following background information:

> Distribution-specific information should be *separately provided* in
> /etc/lsb-release; it is no longer provided in this package.  It is my
> hope that in Debian, this will be managed by the base-files
> maintainer (who already maintains the debian_version file).

I don't pretend to understand the reason for this change but I do know
that my identification mechanism is now broken on etch.

Can anyone suggest a more reliable mechanism?

Steve