Re: Type1 fonts in Debian

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> i recently purchased some non-free fonts and would like to make them
> into debian packages for internal use. Thus, I would be very
> interested in following such efforts to learn how to accomplish what
> i need.

The main intention behind mk-tex-fontpack (see
<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-tex/make-texfontpkg/trunk/scripts/>)
is to ease the installation of Type 1 fonts for TeX, which needs several
other files beside the fonts themselfs. However, it also registers the
fonts with X11 and defoma in the following way:

* PFB and AFM files are installed in /usr/share/fonts/type1/$packname

* links pointing from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 to PFB and AFM
  files are created

* a fonts.scale (created via mkfontscale or type1inst) is installed as
  /etc/X11/fonts/Type1/$packname.scale and activated via
  dh_installxfonts

* a defoma-hints file (created via defoma-hints --no-questionin) is
  palced as debian/$packname.defoma-hints and activated via
  dh_installdefoma

One has to keep in mind that the autogenerated fonts.scale and
defoma-hints files are often bad. That is ok for mk-tex-fontpack since
its main purpose is fonts for TeX. But if one want to install only for
use with X11/defoma, one ought to carefully review these files.

cheerio
ralf