Type1 fonts in Debian (was: TrueType fonts packages maintenance team proposal)

Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> wrote:

> Christian Perrier wrote:
>> I have voluntarily limited the scope of the project to TTF fonts,
>> which become more an more popular.
>
> Perhaps the PostScript fonts in Debian could use some attention as well.
> I've been trying to package a very simple PHP library which in the upstream
> version includes copies of the "standard" Adobe fonts  (Courier, Times
> etc). It turns out that these fonts are included in various Debian
> packages,

... and sometimes in quite buggy versions.  I don't recall the details
(but could look them up), but AFAIR the gsfonts package contains a
version of the URW fonts that has been labelled "experimental" and
actually is; especially in the Courier font there were severe problems.

Somewhere in the debian-tetex-maint list Ralf Stubner posted a
description how to make gs use the variants included in tetex instead.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)