Re: documentation types

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:03:37PM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:04:25AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
>
> > Moreover, I know of *no* -doc packages that provide SGML format so there
> > is not that much experience (or tools) on how to automatically do what others
> > suggest (dwww integratin).
>
> IMHO SGML is losing ground in favor of XML. GNOME Help files are already
> DocBook/XML (AFAIK KDE Help also). So there is definitely precedence,
> and providing soma automatic, user-selectable DocBook/XML -> HTML
> translation would have meaning for dwww integraton. The other option is
> to say that GNOME/KDE can already display DocBook/XML without the HTML
> conversion phase, so allow DocBook/XML as an alternative of HTML in the
> policy. Maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Docbook/XML or SGML conversion to HTML is easy. Proper PS / PDF generation is
not that easy (depends on toolchain and local configuration) and that's
what your average user typically asks for when handling large documents
(manny prefer printing bulky documents than reading them offline or online).

Regards

Javier