Re: How to contribute

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:58:09PM +0000, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How to I contribute an application to Debian?
>
> I am the developer of the application and it is released under GPL
>
> Regards,
> Michael Rasmussen

Hi Michael,
there is documentation on the debian.org website for developers under
the developers sections. The basic thing is to read about the 'ITP'
(intent to package) ,'RFS' request for sponsorship, and possibly the
'NM'(new maintainers) process. To get software included in Debian, you
can be a developer or you can get a developer to sponsor software. This
means that he/she will inspect your software and if its found to be free
of reasonably bad things (trojans, major bugs, licensing, etc.) it will
be uploaded by him/her. This is because if you are not a member of
Debian, you are not 'trusted' yet to upload to our secure
infrastructure. If you become a Developer, then you are given the
permission and you can upload your stuff.  Also, to get help on
packageing (eg. making a .deb archive) there is the debian-mentors
sub-site on the debian.org site and an accompaning mail list.
Cheers,
Kev
PS. releasing under the GPL is a good first step because licensing is
very important to Debian and the GPL is one of its most used license.