Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03:29AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> >> The only people it made happy are extremists.  See #207932.  This is a

> > A 3:1 majority win in 2004-04 makes your claim rather tenuous, unless you
> > are arguing that such a large part of Debian is composed of extremists,
> > only.

> That was a 3:1 majority out of 200 voters, considering that Debian
> counts almost 1000 developers and considering that many pros are
> convinced they have been deceived.

> Extremists are a minority but a very lound minority as usual which makes
> them often win.

Referring to 20% of your fellow developers[1] as a "very loud [extremist]
minority" is absurd, particularly when only 5% of the remaining "majority"
could be bothered to vote against.  You may not agree with the decision that
was taken, but insulting your peers for their views on the question just
makes you look like an ass.  If you really think this vote was stolen from
the majority, put your money where your mouth is -- find five other
developers who agree with you and put up a GR to overturn the Social
Contract changes.  Encourage your fellow developers to vote -- *regardless*
of which way they're going to vote -- so we can finally put this question to
rest.

BTW, votes in Debian *are* public, you know; and
<http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/gr_editorial_tally.txt> clearly shows you
voted in favor of modifying the Social Contract.  Could you make up your
mind which vocal minority you intend to be a part of, please?

> Dictorship of Minorities shall be opposed.

So shall Running of the Mouth on mailing lists.

[1] In 2004-03, there were 911 eligible voters as determined by the Project
Secretary.  174 voters voted for the Social Contract changes.  Assuming
*everyone* who agreed with these changes voted, that's still a full 19% of
the project.