Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:33:33PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 January 2006 03:16, David Weinehall wrote:
>
> > Since all Ubuntu packages are recompiled against a different set of
> > libraries, the bug might not even affect the Debian package, even though
> > they share the same source.  Hence having Ubuntu developers triage the
> > bugs to rule out such issues before they are forwarded to Debian's BTS
> > is always a good thing; thus the maintainer field should be changed
> > for *binary packages*.  The source is the same, so the field should NOT
> > be changed for *source packages*.
>
> Given Ubuntu hopelessly complicates everything, pretends there is cooperation
> where there is none, and merely duplicates the effort of the debian-desktop
> project, and contributes nothing to the community or society, what's stopping
> us from officially discouraging Ubuntu's existence?

I think that way lies madness, for so many reasons.  It's not exactly
encouraging of the principles of Free Software, nor is it particularly
practical.  Would we hold a GR to say "Ubuntu is the Antichrist"?  Some sort
of technical thing to micq our packages against Ubuntu?  I don't really see
the value in it, either -- what's it going to get us?  I seriously doubt
that, even if we *wanted* a PR war, that we could win it.

- Matt