Re: Pre-Depends for Xorg 7.0

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 02:48:33AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> > Right. The everything that you'd expect to go in to /usr/bin and /usr/lib
> > will install there, at least as far as Xorg goes. An example of that is
> > that the new xterm package installs to /usr/bin rather than /usr/X11R6/bin.
> > I haven't finished the packaging of everything, but it seems that some of
> > the header files are put in to differenct dirs of /usr/include. I'll
> > investigate the reasoning for this further. As for /usr/lib/X11, data files
> > like fonts currently go in there.
>
> /usr/include/X11 makes some sense, it was mostly /usr/bin/X11 that I
> didn't see the point of. However, even /usr/include/X11 could
> potentially cause a problem, if a third party package currently installs
> headers in /usr/X11R6/include/foo and xorg updates /usr/include/X11 to
> be a directory rather than a symlink, then #include <X11/foo> will stop
> working. Switching any of these directories from symlinks to real
> directories seems likely to require some coordination beyond xorg.

Well, Xorg 7.0 is currently deployed in Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Fedora's
developmental branches, with more to come. So a great many apps are
building and working with it as we speak. I'm sorry I forgot that
/usr/bin/X11 is a symlink to /usr/bin (thanks to Colin again for pointing
that out) so hopefully that'll put at least one issue to rest :-) As for
the include location breaking things, I can imagine it but most build
systems should be looking in /usr/include for headers anyway...

> The fonts directory issue can be fixed in policy easily enough, although
> again if a new version of X looks for fonts in /usr/lib/X11 and some
> third party packages install them in /usr/X11R6/lib, when the former
> directory stops being a symlink, those fonts won't be found.

This is true, but breaking third party packages has never been a huge
concern for Debian (or myself really ;-)

> Here's a maintainer-sorted list of packages that install files in
> /usr/X11R6:

Thanks for putting this together!

 - David Nusinow