Re: Derived distributions and the Maintainer: field

However, if you were to request it - either through a member of core-dev -
or through the person who last updated the package, then as long as
yourdebian package worked exactly as it is intended to in ubuntu - I'm sure
they'd not have a problem with syncing and using your package from debian.

The only reason packages are changed in ubuntu is because they don't work
as expected in ubuntu - whether this be a different "vision" for the
package's use, or just a problem with it having gone through a different
transition/having a different toolchain, is a different point. But even so
- We DO try and use as many things as possible from debian unchanged ;)