Re: binNMU version detection

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:54:00PM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:

> > There's also no documentation of this numbering scheme: does it differ when
> > applied to a {native, non-native} package?  A {maintainer upload, NMU}?
> > So actually I can't write a fix, period.

> How did bin-NMU numbers work for the old numbering scheme on native
> packages?

In an ugly fashion.  (The same problem still affects sourceful NMUs of native
packages today.)

> > So the silent and unmotivated changes made to binNMU version numbering have
> > *prevented* this from being fixed.  Good example of how not to do things.

> After pursuing some of the previous posts on the issue before posting my
> patch, I discovered that there was concern that it would be more
> difficult to write the proper patch for the old binNMU format,
> specifically knowing to convert -3.0.1 to -3 but -3.1.1 to -3.1, and
> other things like -3.sarge1.1 or somesuch. It was my impression that
> this change to +b1 numbers was designed to make this patch easier to
> implement. Of course, I wasn't involved in any of the discussions, so I
> don't know for sure.

The primary aim of this change was to address the fact that there was no
consistent numbering scheme that satisfies the constraint
binNMU < security NMU < source NMU.  And contrary to Nathanael's
protestations, this was discussed publically on debian-devel -- a year ago
-- and this solution arrived at with the input of an ftpmaster and the
then-current dpkg maintainer, among others.  It just didn't get implemented
until after wanna-build & co. gained support for binNMUs, making them
commonplace:

$ zgrep -c 'Version:.*-[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+$' dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
38
$ zgrep -c 'Version:.*-[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+$' dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
52
$ zgrep -c 'Version:.*+b[0-9]\+$' dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
294
$