Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

> I'm in line with David. Thomas, if you care about the topic, you must be
> interested in convincing the one who can make a change on Ubuntu's policy.
> And the person in question is Matt. If you scare your only interlocutor
> with Ubuntu, then you can be sure that you won't get what you want.

I would be happy with either of two alternatives:

* Ubuntu changes its practices to actually start cooperating with
  Debian.

* Ubuntu stops claiming it is cooperating with Debian.

What Matt wants to do, as judged by his actual behavior, is to claim
he is cooperating with Debian, and then disregard what Debian has
actually said, repeatedly, would constitution cooperation.

The most important things are:

* Proper use of the BTS to file bug reports and patches back.
* Proper use of the Maintainer field to indicate the individual
  responsible for the package and able to make changes.

And now, a third has entered my radar screen because it never occurred
to me that Ubuntu was so seriously screwing this one up:

* Proper changing of package version numbers when Ubuntu rebuilds
  packages.

Matt has argued that some people disagree with the exact parameters of
the second of these three.  And, on the basis of that disagreement, he
does nothing about it at all, and ignores the first and third.

If he wanted to demonstrate good faith, he would have required
Debian-relevant Ubuntu changes to be reported to the BTS long ago.
There has never been disagreement within Debian about this, and if he
actually meant "I want to do the right thing, but you all can't
agree", then he would do the right thing *now* for the cases where
there is straightforward agreement.

The fact that he has not done so convinces me that he is not really
interested in cooperating with Debian.  But he *is* interested in
appearing to cooperate with Debian.

Thomas